From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:23:41 +0100
I just met a woman (Long Island born, back here just for a year) from
Norway.  She's a childbirth educator, and thus a soul mate.  Ah me...
prenatal care for all, 95% bf initiation rate, certified Baby-Friendly
hospitals, 75% bf at 6 months, a year's maternity leave w/ 80% pay.  I
didn't know whether to cheer because it *can* be done and *is* being done,
or gnash my teeth because so few people here think so or care.  She says
when her clients moan about how the world treats mothers, she reminds them
it could be a lot worse, and tells them about US.

Interesting sidelight:  Since they began mandating that women stop work 3
weeks before their due date, they've seen a drop in infant mortality.  She
thinks it's because women go into labor rested and thus have fewer labor
complications.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA (Unenlightened, Stubborn
America)