From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 14:37:47 -0400
Hi all!
Regarding nipple confusion, it does exist!  I have seen it!  Poor baby gets
used to getting his milk easily from a bottle and sucks a particular way,
then doesn't know what to do when a breast is put in his mouth instead.  The
suck is different from breast to bottle, and some babies find it too
difficult to distinguish between the two.
There are, however, some babies who do not get confused.  My son Ben is one
of these.  Though only on the breast 2 weeks, he had to go on a bottle due to
nipple trauma he inflicted on me.  After 2 months of healing, and two months
of bottles, he went back to breast like he'd never been gone!  We were VERY
surprised!  Also, 2 days after going back to breast he refused the bottle I
was giving him,(it was to supplement what he was getting from the one breast.
 He only had my milk in his bottles.)
So there are the exceptions to the nipple confusion situation.  But it very
definitly does exist!  No matter what some "experts" may say.
Janet
Breastfeed your babies and be their
          Breast Friends!