From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:28:30 +0200
Jennifer asked:
"Do our fellow IBCLCs see the value in our
broad range of backgrounds and see that as something to protect or will
they see it as unnecessary?"

I would not have considered writing the exam if it was an add-on nursing
speciality.  What really appealed to me was the impression that, in time,
the credential would be able to stand alone.  I strongly believe that
Lactation Consultation would never have got to where it is today without the
diversity of backgrounds involved.  This is what keeps me latched on to
Lactnet and reading the literature.  So, yes, Jennifer, I think it is
imperative to protect the broad range of backgrounds that add value,
stimulation and excitement to this profession.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]