Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:02:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Mom had a repeat c/section last week, and by 12 hours old the baby was on prophylactic bili-lights and receiving "formula because he's not nursing well and he hasn't pooped yet" (grrrr), because "mom and baby have different blood types but they mixed and they're worried he's going to get jaundiced"- sorry I don't know more details but it wasn't explained too well to Mom - what I gathered is she's Rh negative, baby's Rh positive, mom for some reason couldn't have Rhogam.... 
he's 6 days old now, not (and never got) jaundiced, home with Mom, and receiving mostly bottled expressed breastmilk (some formula, some direct breastfeeding). "pooping all the time"
Mom saw a little blood while pumping today and called to see if the milk was safe to give to baby. no cracks or blisters on nipples. seems suction was a little too high on the pump (rented from hospital).
Mom wanted to know why, if their blood types were incompatible prenatally/during delivery, and it's otherwise not unsafe him to get a drop of blood in her breastmilk, would the incompatibilities harm him from oral ingestion? could someone explain it to me?
thanks,
vicki hayes rn, ibclc in brunswick ga

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2