From:
Ourcircus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:45:17 -0400
i was a little concerned with Lynn Shea's recommendation to let mother's
know they can schedule their babies' feedings if they're more comfortable
with that. She stated that if feedings were more "effective" the babies
could go longer. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I believe many "effective
feeders" cannot be scheduled. Whether it is the size of mom's container
(breast), the amount of fat she passes, the speed of baby's digestion or
what - this is just not something that can be scheduled (esp in the early
weeks).Some babies eat frequently and some not. I agree breastfeeding is a
"dance", but the leader switches between mother and baby.And the main leader
in the early days is the baby. I felt this recommendation about scheduling
was a little too "EZZO" like. We need to get parents to look at the baby. Is
she gaining, peeing, pooping, having quiet alert periods, good skin turgor,
etc. If this is all good then whether it is 6 times a day or 15 times a day,
it is working. We need to encourage mothers , not to schedule, but to be
relaxed yet alert.
My apologies if I misunderstood.
Cheryl Muller, RNC. IBCLC