From:
Marcia B McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:41:24 -0600
Jphanna writes:

"However, this appears to be about a mother who is the primary caregiver
for 2 children."

Relax, I for one am not going to flame you.
The last time I helped a nursing mom who was called for jury duty, this
distinction was made very clear to me.
When this mom called the judge to request she be excused, she spoke to
the judge's clerk.  This clerk refused to consider excusing this mother
because she, the clerk, was herself a nursing mother, and she had no
problem coming to work every day form 8 to 5.  This clerk was nursing but
was NOT the primary caregiver of her child.
I also heard a woman at the last LLL International conference who happily
chose to serve jury duty while nursing her child (she was given time and
place to pump and used daycare).

So if I were writing legislation, I would have a voluntary (rather than a
mandatory) exemption for primary caregivers.  This would also help the
mother who is no longer nursing, say, a 3-year-old who isn't ready for
8-9 hours a day of separation.

Marcia McCoy LLLL
in Minnesota where it may hit 60 (Fahrenheit) today!