From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:12:40 -0500
> How do we break through like they did
>with the cigarette industry?  (Maybe we need a "smoking gun" from the
>formula company, numerous recalls, apparently, not being enough!)

Let's try to remember that it took some time for the anti-tobacco
movement to have success, too.

I read somewhere that "only" about 10-15% of smokers get lung cancer
but the movement has succeeded to make smoking evil, and tobacco
companies have not been effective at changing that image. How can
we do that? Not all smokers suffer ill health, not all formula fed
babies suffer noticeable serious ill health. Still in both cases
there is enough damage caused to warrant public health attention
to the issue.

One of my projects (on the very back burner at the moment) is
to study the history of the anti-tobacco movement to see
what we in the breastfeeding community can learn from them. (BTW,
I think they have things to learn from us, too.)

Recalls are a good tool in our favor. There is also plenty of
research out there on detramental effects of formula. This isn't
about science, it's about PR, getting the message out in a compelling
way.

Just some rambling thoughts one of my pet subjects. Wish I had time
right now to pursue this further, but I have to take a few other
things off my plate first.

Naomi Bar-Yam