From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:00:45 +1000
I think that Darillyn's input on this scenario was excellent but would like
to address the questions about millk composition that Fio asked.
There have been some very limited studies on the composition of milk of
women who were not recently pregnant, one of which Peter Hartmann was a
coauthor on way back in 1981, essentially the milk is very similar to that
of women who have an established lactation. However, there have not been any
studies that have examined how milk composition might change over the
duration of a lactation, how composition might be influenced by the age of
the baby when breastfeeding begins etc. I  was recently discussing this with
Peter, there just aren't many answers to all the questions I have. Even a
basic question like how milk composition is impacted by the use of
galactagogues has not been examined. However, Peter did have some
interesting input on the issue of whether women who have not recently been
pregnant produce colostrum. It has been written in more than one place that
such women cannot produce colostrum because they do not produce placental
lactogen, however, this is likely irrelevent, rather he thinks that
prolactin is a driver for the production of colostrum and that it is the
production and reabsorption of milk during pregnancy that produces colostrum
ie concentrated milk?? (my interpretation of what Peter said, as yet I don't
believe there is anything in print about this). Interesting though isn't it.
Karleen Gribble
Australia