From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:29:55 -0500
Firstly, I want to thank all the wonderful listmothers for their ongoing
help in running this list. Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr, Karleen Gribble, and
Linda Pohl are the current team we have in addition to me.... I want to
welcome Linda, as she is a new listmother, though an old friend to Lactnet.
I also want to thank Karen Zeretzke and Melissa Vickers as outgoing
listmothers. Without them, I never could have gone on all this time keeping
Lactnet moving and grooving.  They are wonderful friends and LCs and people,
and LLLeaders, and I am indebted to all of these women for helping me to
create and maintain this wonderful list. I think that Lactnet, since 1995,
has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It is like a drop
in a giant bucket, moving with waves throughout the world, creating
friendships and connections where none existed.  I am now moving into a new
venue peresonally... (still staying with Lactnet of course)..I am returning
to hospital nursing, and IBCLCing... Relearning how to be a postpartum nurse
in our local hospital, which is full of wonderful RNS and IBCLCs who do so
much for our Vermont women.  It's a pleasure and a privilege to work with
them as I learn to come up to speed as a pp nurse/IBCLC.  I still maintain
my private practice here as well....

To welcome Linda, here is a little piece from her that describes where she
began in breastfeeding.  And, thank you all for participating in this list.
I am proud and pleased to be associated with you all...as I continue to grow
as a mother, a listowner, and an IBCLC.

Love, Kathleen

From Linda.....

When I was maybe 6 or 7 years old, my sister and I were visiting my
great-grandmother.  She asked us to follow her into a back bedroom where my
father's cousin was nursing her infant son.  She said to us: "I want you
girls to see this because I am afraid you may never see it again in your
lifetime."  That was the only child I ever saw nursing until my first son
was born in 1984.
When he was 16 days old, I went to my first LLL meeting and saw a child of
maybe 15 months who was wearing (gasp) shoes, nursing.  I was flabbergasted
- I knew that your milk ran out when the baby was 6 months old.  The women
there had all kinds of odd idea.  Some of them let their babies sleep in
their beds.  I had already heard that if you let them in your bed even once,
you would never get them out.  I stayed to the end of the meeting figuring
that at least these people must have been breastfeeding experts and I was
going to need that expertise since I had to go back to work at 4 weeks
postpartum to my job as an engineer.
Two weeks after returning to work, I went to another LLL meeting.  All of a
sudden that sleeping with your baby stuff sounded like a plan that might
keep me sane.  LLL grew on me and by the time my son was 4 months old, I
wanted to help other mothers like I had been helped.  I was accredited an
LLLL in May 1988.  I continued to study and passed the IBLCE Boards in 1993.
I started a pump rental business that expanded into a full-service
breastfeeding clinic with mother-to-mother support groups, lactation
services and breastfeeding tools and devices.  At its peak we had 4 IBCLCs
and 28 staff in two locations in the Phoenix metropolitan area.  I sold the
business and had intended to start lecturing on an Engineer's Looks at
Breast Pumps and Breastfeeding Devices.  I had two paid lectures then
received an offer of full-time employment.
I was offered a job doing technical work around the world.  My youngest
child was ready to go off to college and my husband and I decided that I
could not refuse the offer.  I moved to India where I live now.  My
breastfeeding work is limited to a few local women on a volunteer basis and
some -mail counseling.
Grandma was wrong.  I see a lot of babies nursing and hopefully that number
will continue to grow.  And that 16-day-old that I took to the LLL meeting,
he weaned when his younger brother was 15 months old (and both were wearing
shoes!)

llp

Linda L Pohl, IBCLC, RLC

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant:
Lactation Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv

Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or