Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:54:11 EST
Pat in OH says,

> Weight gain has been about 3 oz a week.  Now Camden is
> >waking several times during the night--all since mom initiated that extra
> >feed.  What should a 4 month old be gaining per week?  Mom in the last
> >week has tried a little rice cereal also, although she knows Camden
> >doesn't need it.

My expectation is that 4 and 5 month old babies WILL wake during the night as
their feeds during the day are generally less than stellar -- too
distractable.  They have great feeds at night and make up for at night what
they are missing during the day....of course, everyone is likely to tell mom
to just let the baby cry it out -- if she didn't need night feeds last month,
she certainly doesn't need them now!  But I find they really do -- and moms
corroborate this -- yes, the feeds during the day are suck suck -- there's
the dog -- suck suck -- there's the fan - suck suck -- I hear a car -- suck
suck suck -- I see a light.....you get the picture.  At night they hunker
down and EAT.

I'm thinking the change with the rice cereal may be co-incidental, but Pat
from WI may be right on about it being a digestive upset sort of thing as
well.

Jan from IL
Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com