From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:02:10 -0500
Breastfeeding after Circumcision...

Until the recent postings on Lactnet, I always thought that circs weren't
covered by insurance if done after discharge from the hospital-perhaps
because that is often given as a reason by the peds as to why they will not
do them in their offices! The Peds are the ones who do the circs in our
hospital (where we have a high percentage of parents who choose to have
their sons circ'd).  The standard has been to keep the baby for "circ
checks" to observe for bleeding every 15 minutes for about 30 to 45  minutes
after the procedure- and by then, the usual scenerio is that the little guys
have cried and cried and then shut down and don't feed well the rest of the
day.  This day of poor feeding has always been accepted as the post circ
norm.  Sometimes it has gotten a poor feeder a one day reprive from getting
the circ done. It may be an hour after the circ before the baby is taken
back out to its Mom.

I have gotten into the habit of taking the babies out to Mom immediately
after the circ to go to breast, and they usually do quite well. They are
eager for the comfort of the breast. I of course also tell Mom how
breastfeeding the baby now soothes him and makes him feel better, which
makes her feel better about the whole thing, as well as giving her a sense
of some control.  I can discreetly check the circ for bleeding in the room,
and take the baby back to the nursery if attention to the site (i.e. gel
foam) is needed. If it looks fine, then I can show the parents how to take
care of, and do a little newborn care teaching. I think that it really helps
to do these fight after circ feedings-who knows, there may be less bleeding
if there is less crying! These babies don't seem to fall into the expected
pattern of not feeding well for the rest of the day- just my personal
observations.  Some of the other nurses have started following this routine
as well, I am happy to say. It must be remembered that it is vital not to
forget to check the circ site just because the baby is quiet and happy at
Mom's breast.
If anyone else implements this early feed after circ, I'd love to hear how
it works for you.
Sincerely, Diana