From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:17:47 +0200
A mother of a 5.5 months baby has been advised to wean due to her need to
get a treatment for an old knee injury.  She has to have 5 injections of
25mgs/each of HIALURONATO SODICO (the closest thing in English would be
hyaluronate polymer) over the course of five weeks.  This is a natural
component of the connective tissues, part of the senobial liquid(?) (trying
to translate from the Spanish, liquido senovial).  Since it is a treatment
usually used in old people or male athletes, there are no studies in
lactating women, therefore the literature accompanying the medicine says it
gets excreted in breastmilk and advises not to breastfeed.

This thing is injected in the knee and is like the oil between carthilages,
which function is to lubricate the joints to minimize wear and act also as
"shock absorbers".   It is otherwise used in cosmetic surgery.  They are
just compensating for a deficiency in the mother so I cannot think how this
could affect the baby.  But of course, is my opinion against theirs.  I
already told the mother that my main interest is in preserving the
breastfeeding relationship, which the other HCP do not care about (her
pediatrician told her that she had done enough, as most women in this
country do not breastfeed past 3/4 weeks).  I also told her to ask both her
pediatrician and traumatologist about more conclusive studies of the
possible risks to her baby, but of course, they are not willing to spend
their weekend searching through the net or any other source they can think
of, in order to let her continue breastfeeding "such a big child, who's more
than old enough to have a bottle and eat solids".

Anybody has heard about this compound?  As I said before, I discovered that
it is used in the cosmetic field (a filler, some sort of lifting) and also
for prothesis.  Its molecular weight is higher when produced from animal
sources (shark finns, eye of oxes). Sorry about the non-technical terms, but
I am trying to translate from material I've found in Spanish!!  It is
commercialized under the name ADANT here in Spain.  I already called the
lab, but it is closed on Saturdays!!

Thank you very much for your help.

Lavinia, LLL Madrid