Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:39:45 EST
news alert. my food coop catalog arrived today and what to my wondering eyes
did appear? a new listing for " ORGANIC baby/toddler formula" by a company
named "nature's one." i will list the ingredients in a minute. i found a
number for them 614-898-9758 and they also have a website www.naturesone.com.
since my computer is refusing to visit websites, i called them up and asked
for information.

they told me that this is NOT an infant formula, due to FDA regulations, and
is advertised for use either when a baby starts solid foods or for
supplementation when a breastfeeding mother and baby are separated. (oh,
please, its STILL FORMULA). they told me very earnestly they are
"breastfeeding friendly" and "encourage breastfeeding." that is, until the
baby is weaned, which to them seems like around the time of introducing solid
foods.

so when someone says there is no organic formula, its not true anymore,
although this is not an infant formula. i feel sure, however, that it will
get used for an infant formula because of its organic ingredients. when i
receive their information packet i will share, and if someone goes to the
website, could they email me privately to tell what it says? (or put it on
here)

ingredients: organic brown rice syrup,
 organic nonfat dry milk,
 organic high oleic sunflower oil,
organic soybean oil,
organic coconut oil,
 natural milk mineral concentrate,
 calcium ascorbate (vit. C),
soy lecithin,
calcium citrate,
 natural flavor,
choline bitartrate,
ferrous sulfate,
inositol alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vit. E),
zinc sulfate,
 niacinamide,
 calcium pantothenate,
 citamin A palmitate,
 thiamin, hydrochloride (vit. B1),
 copper sulfate, riboflavin (vit. B2),
 manganese sulfate,
phytonadione (vit. K),
potassium iodine,
 biotin,
 cyancobalamin (vit. B12).

whom among us speaks authoritatively on these ingredients? i am rather
worried about combining soy and dairy products, because i specifically tell
people to NOT feed their babies soy formula, for various reasons i have
listed before. i realize these people are marketing this as a toddler
formula, which means that the soy is not such a concern as it is to me as the
sole food for an infant, but i still think this will get used as an infant
formula.

carol brussel IBCLC