From:
Jenni James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:55:41 +1100
Hi all
I would like to respond to Jane's comments below. First of all companies do
not pay retailers for space for their products - certainly not in Australia
anyway - where the product is placed is strictly determined by how well a
product sells - the higher the turnover the closer to eye level the product
is placed by the store.
In terms of the Code, placing a product on a shelf with a price ticket is
allowed under the Code and The MAIF Agreement here is Australia - both were
developed pre internet and websites and those who work hard to protect
breastfeeding have been battling to keep up with the incredible rate of
technological change - the law and Governemnt policies also scramble to keep
pace! Strictly speaking marketing is not the same as a product on a shelf
where a product can be purcheased. As someone has already stated, the Medela
website is purely marketing and not a point of sale.
As to the comment about why the US hasn't signed the Code - this is a very
good question and has basically nothing to do with 'being told what to do by
other countries' and everything to do with profit and power - all you have
to do is look at what has happened in the Phillipines! Medela Asia Pacific
has committed to abiding by the Code by not marketing its bottle and teat
feeding systems directly to the public, as I underdstand it this is also the
case for Europe and other countries as well - I have been told by senior
Medela Executives that only the 'US tells the US what to do and they are
quite happy to continue with how they do things'. The question I pose to the
US is why is this type of behaviour allowed to continue - why aren't all the
IBCLCs in the US standing up and shouting??? I know a number already are -
but what about the others? The rest of us a truly perplexed and quite
frankly down right frustrated
Happy holiday everyone
Jenni James
Melbourne, Australia