From:
Osterholt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 19:19:52 -0500
Lactnetters,

I could use some advice about a baby I saw today who had a very traumatic
birth. C/S breech. Corkscrewed out. Incision for section was even lengthened.
Lots of suctioning. Mom not sure if it was below the cords. Diagnosed with a
swollen pharyngeal. Swelling is down but ped says the baby has an enlarged
epiglottis. Baby was NPO for 5 days postpartum. Baby is now 18 days old and
has a very difficult time coordinating sucking, swallowing and breathing. Lots
of wheezing at breast. Adverse to being at breast. Fights. Baby did breastfed
for the first time today for 3 minutes on one side. Mom was happy but
expecting more. Baby bottle feeds fine. Weihgt gain great. Totally on Brmilk.

I'm mainly looking for advice on the enlarged epiglottis. The breast adversion
I have covered.

Thanks,
Assunta Osterholt, IBCLC