From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:33:08 -0500
I think the original poster was asking about an older baby, but I
could be mistaken. In any case, the sugar water is replacing
breastmilk, which is not good, and
if given by bottle, has problems associated with that. I am imagining
a scenario whereby a mother is of the belief that the water is
necessary for some reason.
Perhaps she feels that the weather is too hot or she believes it cures
the hiccoughs (have seen both of these beliefs). I am also guessing
that perhaps someone
told her that all that sugar water will hurt baby's pancreas, maybe as
somewhat of a scare tactic to steer her away from it.
I do appreciate and agree  with the other responders and all the
ramifications and negative health consequences when exclusive bf is
not practiced. In a newborn,
I certainly would be very concerned because, yes, 15 mls is quite alot
of intake for a day or two day old baby. Water intoxication does exist
and is dangerous.
But, if this was an older baby with a mother with the above
misconceptions, then I would try to somewhat validate her beliefs and
then try to steer her towards
exclusive bf, with something like this, "It surely seems that we
should be giving water to baby when it is close to 100 degrees
outside, doesn't it? Did you know that breastmilk
has all the water in it that baby needs? It is actually a complete
food. And for baby's immune system to be fully working, the baby 's
intestines should be coated with
your milk, and the water will wash that away somewhat. So the baby
will actually have a higher chance of getting sick if he gets water.
Would you feel comfortable trying
to reduce and then stop the water over the next 2 days. Your baby will
nurse if hungry OR thirsty ....blah blah".
I could be way off base, but these are the experiences I have had with
mothers giving water.
I hope the original poster will give us a review and update. Just read
an article online today and the percentage of moms giving botanical
teas and such is like 9%.
Re the jaundice that Susan mentioned, my understanding is that the
sugar water per se does not increase jaundice, but the decreased
consumption of milk and calories
as a result of milk being displaced by water in the diet, leads to
jaundice. If I understand it correctly.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Missisisppi USA