From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:27:49 -0800
Marianne,

industry.  I empathize with many of these women because I have walked in
their shoes.  When you are told, from the time you are born, that the people
in the white coats have all the answers and they can heal you and their word
is final, it is very, very difficult... indeed nearly impossible... to think
otherwise.  How can people with no medical background know better than some
people in white coats who've gone to school specifically for medicine?  (And
for the record, I am not anti-doctor... we have amazing physicians who do
provide miracles in some cases.)  But how can a midwife know more than a
doctor?  That's what you think when you are raised to put your entire health
care in the hands of "modern medicine".  It's brainwashing.  That's what we
have done to people in our society.  We have brainwashed them into thinking
that doctors have the keys (and drugs) to cure every ailment we experience.
We do not teach our children to think for themselves or change their
behaviors.

I am amazed at some of the mothers I know.  When a nose is runny, they rush
to a doctor.  When they begin coughing, they look for drugs.  But to some
degree, I don't think it's their fault.  They are not taught to think that
runny noses and coughs are the body's way of healing itself and that if we
take drugs, we can actually cause more harm than good.

We have raised generations to believe they should never experience any pain
or discomfort... instead of teaching them that pain is purposeful and tells
a story.  If they have pain, they immediately seek a way to erase the pain,
rather than the cause.  If we are depressed, we take a drug rather than get
to the root cause of the depression (whether it is environmental,
nutritional, etc.)  Instead of getting rid of the cause, we mask it... and
it still exists.  We treat so many conditions this way.

I was a victim.  I believed in the system.  Nobody could tell me otherwise.
I had been brainwashed.  I believed it when they told me it was okay to be
induced even though my cervix was tight.  I believed them when they said it
would help to break my water.  I believed them when they said pitocin would
"help things along".  I believed them all along.  And when they finally cut
me open, I believed that they had saved my baby's life.  It took me years to
realize that they were the cause of my baby's close call with death.  And
when I did realize it, it hurt more than anything... because in that moment
I realized I had been duped by the very people I had put so much trust in.
I felt so incredibly violated and used and less than human.  I realized that
they didn't care one iota about my health or the outcome of my pregnancy.
It hurt... it still hurts.  If I had it to do over, I would have my babies
at home under the care of a midwife, with a hospital close by.

I have since delved deeper and educated myself further.  But it was hard.
It meant trusting my instincts and my gut feelings... something no one had
ever talked to me about before.  We don't teach women to trust their
instincts.  Why should they?  They get all of their answers from the myriad
of information that is at their fingertips nowadays.  We have books and
television and the internet and online discussion boards full of people who
continue to band together and perpetuate the lies.  No one tells these women
to stop looking elsewhere and start looking inward for their answers.  Very
sad.

I use my experiences to try and make things better for other women... I try
and teach women to look inward and listen to their instincts.  But it is
indeed an uphill battle.

So yes, I do empathize with these women who seem to cling so dearly to the
misinformation that is out there.  Because I think that for some of them,
they really, really believe deep down inside that they they aren't good
enough, their milk isn't good enough or plentiful, and their bodies just
aren't capable.  When you've been fed a lie long enough, you internalize it
and you believe it.

Christina Harris, RN
Federal Way, WA