From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:24:05 PST
Here is the website
http://www.nwparent.com/scripts/northwest/paper/index.asp?ColumnID=35
Here is my letter:
1-30-99
I read the article by Susan Garrett in Family Matters entitled "Is the
baby getting enough milk?"  The information on the amount of wet and
dirty diapers and the scenario about how poor latch/suck can cause milk
supplies to dwindle are great. However I must comment on some of the
things that lactation consultant L. Running reports.

“We frequently see babies who are 4 to 5 days old who are starving.” If
this is true, this is very scary. Someone should look at the hospital
practices that might  be contributing to this problem. One shouldn't be
seeing this problem frequently. Running says the breasts begin making
milk "but only if the baby is sucking effectively and nursing frequently
(on the average, four times in the first 24 hours)". This is VERY
INFREQUENT and perhaps this is the problem. If immediate skin to skin
contact is allowed and encouraged and the first breastfeed takes place
within the first hour, the baby should be then continuously rooming or
bedding in, and encouraged to nurse 8-9x minimum per 24hrs. I hope
parents don't think that 4x in a day is ok.
[Note to lactnuts- I think some babies bedding in would be ok with 4 the
first day, but she makes it sound like this is the norm. Comments?]
I also disagree with this paragraph:
"In her experience, breast surgery of any kind, especially breast
reduction surgery, makes it difficult, if not impossible, to breastfeed.
Also, if a woman's breasts don't change—i.e., if they don't become
larger and more sensitive during pregnancy—this may also mean
breastfeeding will be difficult or impossible. Some other instances
where breastfeeding may be difficult are when the women's nipples are
inverted, the breasts are unusually shaped, or the baby is born before
38 weeks."
[note to lactnuts- doesn't this sound like if you have the above, don't
even try bf?]
I work with women all the time with these conditions and I would not say
that breastfeeding will be difficult or impossible for them.
Occassionally it is a challenge, but not to the extent that Running
implies. With breast reduction surgery, I agree, this is a high risk
situation for insufficient milk, but moms can still breastfeed with
supplementation. It is not an all or none situation.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my comments.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC