Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:44:23 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
> In response to questions about this, the population I have seen with nutritional rickets are those infants and toddlers with dark skin, exclusive breastfeeders (infants), and breastfeeding toddlers who many times do not have a varied diet.  All socio-economic statuses have been involved.  The common denominator here was none of these children were getting adequate sunlight.  When working with these patients, I always encourage continued breastfeeding for as long as mom & child desire, but I also encourage adequate sunlight exposure, and most times the M.D. will prescribe Vit. D.   I also will encourage mom to increase her intake of Vitamin D rich foods and also a vitamin supplement.
Unknown command - "IN". Try HELP.

> The American Dietetic Association has always held the highest standards for professional, ethical practice.  I am not a "bought" dietitian.  I recommend dairy products to my pediatric patients because they are an economical, readily available, nutritionally adequate source of the nutrition they need.  Believe me, I am not naive in area of commercial/corporate sponsors.  I have been in practice for 25 years and have learned a lot.  My heart and soul is for the support and promotion of breastfeeding, and so I am always very cautious in my dealings with outside companies and representatives.  However, to remain an informed dietetics professional, there are many whom I must come in contact with.  There are people in ALL walks of life who are influenced for the wrong reason.  I do my best to educate myself and my patients, and ultimately everyone is responsible for making the best decision for themselves.

Ginger Carney, RD, LDN, IBCLC
Clinical Nutriiton Mgr./Lactation Consultant
Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center
Memphis, TN  
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2