From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:51:06 -0500
Everyone needs fat in their diet.  But they do not need to get it from
cow's milk.  Breastmilk contains *appropriate* fat for humans including
2 year olds (which, when I last checked were human, I think).  They can
also get fat from avocados, meat, or any other food they can eat.  Some
food has very little fat (most fruits and vegetables), but fat can be
had from butter or oils used for cooking things or just added, even if
those things do not have much fat.

The pediatrician who insists on milk is living in a cocoon, indeed, is
probably culturally insensitive (in Hawaii?? with all those non
Caucasians) and does not know what is going on in the rest of the world,
where, most people do not eat dairy products and do just fine.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC