From:
Brenda Dalton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:34:59 -0400
Dear Wise ones:

I have a client, who has given me permission to post, that has had severe
RA.  She has been told by her MD that she should breastfeed for the first
month, and then after that be ready to stop to allow her to resume her
medications that she's been off for the past 2 years while trying to get
pregnant (she had a fertility issue to resolve as well).  She says that
she has been living in increased pain for the last 2 years and is ready to
I intend to make copies from the book to give to her to discuss with her
MD.  Arava is listed in Hales 2004 as a L4.  Bextra is not listed (or at
least I can't find it).  Embrel is listed as a L3.  My question is about
Embrel, it talks about the "enormous" molecular weight, and the fact that
it "would not be bioavailable in an infant".  Then it goes on to say,
under drug interactions:  "Do not administer live vaccines concurrent with
etanercept".  Now, I understand that mom shouldn't get any vaccines while
on the drug, but what about the baby?  Would there be any problems,
especially since they are not live vaccines given?  What about mom's close
contact with baby getting vaccines?  As another question she spoke
of "Chicken Shots" - a substance that part comes from the comb of a
chicken that is directly injected into joints (esp. knees) to aide in the
lack of joint fluid.  Has anyone heard of this?  Would there be any
problem with that and breastfeeding?

I did discuss with mom some of the information that I have obtained from
the archives concerning her diet and possible elimination of bovine
protein, early shade veges (tomatoe, potatoe, green pepper, eggplant),
considering alfalfa, and ginger supplementation.  We also spent some time
discussing ideas about "handeling" a newborn with joint pain.  Including
use of slings to carry baby without stressing elbows and hands, and use of
pillows as maternal support to hold baby when actually breastfeeding when
not wearing sling.  Also the use of cold cabbage to relieve swollen
joints.

I want to thank each of you that post, for my knowledge has increased so
much since joining Lactnet!  In a world where we are sometimes out here on
our own, I want you to know that you are appreciated more than words can
say.

Brenda Dalton RNC, who is trying to be patient for Oct. 15th results.
Louisiana, USA