From:
"Elise M. Chapin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:40:03 +0200
Dear Yulanda,

I agree with all of Rachel's comments and would add that saying things like
""IT'S THE NEXT BEST THING TO MOTHER'S MILK"?" is a violation of the
International Code on the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes, and believe
me, Nestlé knows it (as does Ogilvy, I imagine). I have no idea what kind
of Code legislation there is in South Africa, so it would not necessarily
break any South African laws.

If you would like more information on the Code, Infact Canada has a great
site http://www.infactcanada.ca/InfactHomePage.htm

It is all too easy to give information or opinions that are subsequently
used as an endorsement .... unfortunately.

Elise Chapin

>Date:    Wed, 1 Jun 2005 01:21:41 +0200
>From:    Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wording for breastmilk substitutes
>
>Yulanda in South Africa was contacted by a manufacturer of a breastmlk
>substitute and asked whether their proposed ad slogan would be 'legal'.
>Yulanda, in what capacity were you being asked to comment?  Why was Ogilvy
>calling you?  Are you a representative of whatever government agency
>regulates food labeling?  If not, why don't they call the appropriate
>authority?
>Could it be that they want to be able to go to that authority and say 'even
>breastfeeding supporters think that this is an acceptable term'?  Aren't you
>glad you didn't tell them that?
>Rachel Myr
>Kristiansand, Norway

Elise M. Chapin