From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:38:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/2006 3:16:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I go by  these guidelines: well, term newborns lose about 5-6% and regain
this loss  once mom's milk comes in, so they are gaining by around day 3 or
4,  provided they are truly being bf and in almost continuous contact with
mother (i.e. frequently and with milk transfer and STS).  I consider  7-8% wt
loss to be cause for concern and I consider 10% to be serious.  Taking 2 wks
to regain b. weight is abnormal, IMO. Therefore, after the  first 24 hrs, a
well term baby might lose around 2-3%. If the child has  been NPO, briefly on
oxygen, delayed initiation, separation, etc. or if  the child is preterm (36
wks is preterm!) then this is not a normal term  newborn situation and you
will have aberrations. I have also seen quite a  few weights written down
incorrectly and also seen large wt gains which  were also errors. A well,
term newborn losing 10-17% in 24 hrs or less is  something I don't think I've
ever seen in 20-something  years.

Laurie, thanks for your response.  This will be very helpful.  I  agree that
7-8% is what I think should be the upper limits but that is in an  ideal world
and where I work is anything but "ideal"!  There is  way too much separation
of moms and babies.  Part  of this is brought on by hospital routine but many
times it is the parents who  keep sending their babies back to the nursery.
My few hours with them does  not always have the impact I would hope for.
Silly me!!!!
Now, here is another question.  If a baby was delivered with a mom who  had a
long labor with an epidural and lots of Pitocin and IV fluids, would they
have more voids and therefore a greater wt loss in the first 24 hours?
I don't believe I have ever seen a study that was looking at babies'  outputs
and wt loss.
Anyone want to take this on as a study?
I will start calculating our babies' wt loss in the first 24 hours and see
where they fall.
I will also ask the pediatricians to give me their data on this.  My  goal
right now is to get rid of formula supplementation as the "first" choice in  the
orders.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA