Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:56:50 EDT

Heather writes:

But Judy  - he hadn't read about the study.

There never was a study.

He  imagines he read about a study.

He hadn't read anything except the  story about  Professor Kramer being the
'expert' who says (apparently)  breastfeeding makes no difference (of
course Prof K did not say that, but his  words were spun to make it seem as if he
had). This father then interprets  that as 'a large scale study'.

~ True, I was leaping from the fact that Dr. Kramer has done a  study,
though it was not about the subject the media claimed, nor did it say  what the
media said it said...Wherever the leap happened, between poor or
deliberately misguided reporting, to poor reading on the public's part, we all  lose.
I think we've all read studies and/or articles about studies, that say one
thing but the reporting reports something else, and we've also read poor
studies  which claim what they cannot support, as well as reading things
written clearly and well and still there is misinterpretation or misreading
based on cognitive dissonance at the reader's point. See, right here,  I
assumed that the article that dad read had mentioned a "large-scale  study"  when
it fact you are saying this was not in the article but in the  father's
reading only.. and that is what happens when I don't read the original!  :) It
also reminds me why I have completely shied away from talking to the  media.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA