From:
Leibovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:27:54 +0200
I wanted to share with you an important event for breastfeeding here in
Israel.

Today the first official course on breastfeeding for nurses was started, by
the Ministry of Health. These nurses work in "well baby clinics", and are
in touch with nearly 100% of babies born in Israel. They are the ones who
most often help mothers with bf, and up to now they knew only very little
about bf, as they themselves said today. Most of them helped mothers
according to their own experience, or "common knowledge". This is a pilot
course, with 22 nurses from all over the country, who will learn how to
teach the nurses in their area. Whithin the next few years we expect all
nurses in the well baby clinics (several thousand) to go through this course.

The Ministry of Health has worked on this programm for several years, and
as the head of neonatology in one of our biggest hospitals, who was very
active in this, said - we felt like watching the birth of a baby.

Mira Leibovich, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]