From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:38:07 -0700
Hi All,

I got a call from a mom last night, asking for help breastfeeding her
newborn, born six weeks early and diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta.
She only spent four days in the hospital before being released.  I've given
the mom information on establishing her milk supply on behalf of her baby
(she was planning to use her very outdated personal use pump); normal intake
for a baby that age; upright paced bottle feeding; kangaroo care when
possible.

Since that call, I have done some research about the condition itself, and
left a message for mom asking which type of OI they've diagnosed in her
daughter.  I searched through the L'net archives for ideas and found a few
suggestions recommending baby lie on a surface or in a carrier, and mom
offer breast to baby without actually holding her, at least not for the
first several months.  Since the most recent post on L'net was over two
years ago, I wondered if anyone had any additional suggestions to offer this
mom?

TIA,

Debbie Gillespie, IBCLC, LLLL
Tempe, AZ