Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:03:28 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I'm in a hospital and I use baby-led latch. Not all of the LCs do, but it’s been very successful for me.  

You're right, Esther, those hospital gowns are not helpful.  We even have an in-house-designed bfdg gown with two slits under a big flap. The flap doesn't stay up out of the way and the slits aren't big enough for enough breast.  They’re hopeless for skin-to-skin since the mother's entire chest is covered in fabric.

Therefore, yippEEEE, our very supportive manager has searched the catalogs and found a lovely knee-length, kimono-style wrap-robe of lightweight cotton. As we use up the old gowns, we'll be injecting these kimonos into the stock to give each mom her own (to take home--imagine!).  It'll be discreet for skin-to-skin with both side flaps available to keep a baby cozy.

At this hospital the IBCLCs only see the moms who are having trouble.  Skin-to-skin for baby led latch fixes so many troubles that I think I'm going to start measuring my successful consults by the number of cameras taken out! Today THREE moms were so thrilled at their own and baby's success that they asked for pictures! :-)

The dads are so proud of their smart babies and the moms are so proud of themselves and their babies that these families go home feeling more confident and empowered.  If a glitch comes up later, they’re more comfortable working through it~~~~rather than giving up.

Debbi Heffern
RD, IBCLC, LLLL
St. Louis, MO, USA

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.17/1176 - Release Date: 12/6/2007 11:15 PM

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2