From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:28:42 -0800
In various cities I have lived, ILCA Affiliates have held "pump parties"
where once a year everyone brings every pump they have in their closet -
those that worked, and those that didn't (often a mom would come by, show
her pump and leave with another).

By the way, I usually recommend that moms return their pumps to the point
of sale, as I'd like the store managers to learn how frustrated their
clients get when they sell ineffective equipment - but some moms got them
as gifts or from another state or just don't want to do it.

At the pump party we use balloons, gauges, etc. to learn about the pumps,
how to assemble them, and those who have experience, positive or negative
stand next to them (like during a poster session) and explain what they
have learned/seen.

This is NOT a scientific, evidence based report, but based on their own
experience and we all know that.  At times, we have people with completely
opposite reports from the same pump - then we try to discuss what was the
reason one worked for one mom but not for another (size of flange?
 maintaining milk supply vs, initiating milk supply, etc.).

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]