From:
Mary Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 11:13:28 +0100
I read a report recently on research being carried out at the University of
Dundee, Scotland by a Prof Willett.  Apparently the research is looking at
the significance of long gaps between feeds, and whether this might relate
to SIDS.  They are wondering if some babies may be less able than others to
cope with low blood glucose, and whether these babies may be more at risk of
SIDS if they are having long gaps between feeds.  The report suggested that
the researchers are wondering whether, since breastfed babies are likely to
have shorter gaps between feeds, this might be part of the reason for fewer
SIDS cases in breastfed babies.

Now the caveats - this research is *not* complete - this is from a report in
the press, not direct from the researchers - and, *importantly*, I have
second hand information that Prof Willett does not consider that there is
cause to 'change practice' at present.

However, it is clearly an area to watch.  Perhaps the paediatrician
originally referred to was also aware of some early work around this topic.

For what it's worth, I think all too often variations in breastfeeding
behaviour are seen as 'breastfeeding problems', when they are actually
*symptoms* of a real *medical* problem in mother or child.  We don't really
know where the boundaries of normality are in breastfeeding.

All IMHO

Of to enjoy the Scottish sunshine,

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland [log in to unmask]
The Breastfeeding Network - Independent Support and Information about
Breastfeeding http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/bfn