From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:05:37 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/00 12:48:25 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< It is my experience that the DepoProvera injection can intefere with milk
supply/production.  Unfortunately, there is no way to get it out once you
have had the injection.  I know that it does not produce this effect in all
mothers, but I have seen a reduction in Depo  in some cases.

A drug rep came into the hospital when I worked there to push a certain form
of hormonal contraceptive, as several of us had noticed decreased milk
production with its use. Oddly enough, almost every single nurse on the floor
came to the presentation, which included a video, even though they were
always busy during bf presentations. (Having a background in advertising, it
is always clear to me when a product of little or questionable value is being
successfully cloaked in expensive marketing, but I watch as others are
casually sucked in by the hype).
    Anyway, no one seemed to have questions--all satisfied by this "clearly
knowledgeable authority". But all of the manufacturers' literature stated
this product should not be used until after 6 weeks if bf. I asked the rep
whether studies had been done on mothers before 6 weeks and she stated she
knew of none. Well, I told her it was the policy of the hospital clinic to
insist this product be taken before discharge from the hospital, so what was
her opinion of this. She tried to take back what she had said before and said
that there must be studies before 6 weeks and she would be certain to get
copies of them for me. I also pointed out to her that if studies showed no
decrease in milk production, I would want to know if those studies were
structured to determine if mothers were having to nurse more often on avg (or
even pump) to maintain the same supply as mothers not taking the drug. Guess
how many studies I ever received? Needless to say, the clinic did not change
its policy nor did we see any improvement in outcomes.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA