Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:39:28 EDT
Yesterday at work I ws reading an article on Thrush and Mastitis written by
an IBCLC and her MD husband who works together here in NC. In the article
under a heading of management, they recommend that moms not ingest any
caffeine during treatment for thrush and mastitis. I know about the standard
recommendations like avoiding starches and sugar but I do not see the
connection between caffeine and thrush. Any studies on this.
They also stated that babies will  vomit the first dose of nystatin. Why
would that be? It isn't being ingested, only swabbed on the inner surfaces of
the mouth, gums and tongue. Anyone heard about this?
I do recommend that moms put the nystatin on a piece of gauze wrapped around
her finger to swab out the mouth. It seems to get more complete coverage, and
doesn't fall apart like a QTip.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Ayden NC