From:
Carmen Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:10:28 -0500
I wanted to pass on a few of my observation I’ve made from my private
practice.  Quite frequently when I do home visits to help moms of
non-latching or poorly latching newborn babies, I find that these babies
are overdressed and swaddled. As soon as the swaddling is removed and
these babies are placed skin-to-skin against the mothers’ abdomen,
rooting and nipple seeking behaviors increase.  Baby becomes more
active, they use their hands for kneading and feeling and their legs to
push up and they lift and lower their heads in seeking to latch.  Part
of the problems is also that the mothers are not used to handling a
non-swaddled newborn.  They are very uncomfortable picking up and
frankly some are even scared of handling their babies.  I encourage moms
to practice handling baby until she gets comfortable picking up,
holding, supporting and bringing baby to breast.  I also find that many
are uncomfortable handling their own breasts.  I gently work on showing
them how to palpate, hold, shape, support (when necessary) and hand
express their breasts.  Also some babies need to feel the security of
firm support.  I’ve found this can be easily done with the cross-cradle
hold providing gentle pressure across the back of the shoulder and hip
girdles. It is as if they babies are receiving the right physical
triggers for effective latching and breastfeeding.  Also, as mothers get
more comfortabl,e they enjoy holding their babies more providing more
opportunity for frequent nursing and greater stimulation of their milk
supply.

I agree that swaddling keeps a lot babies calm especially when away from
their mothers but I dare say that when held in moms arms, babies should
be in skin-to-skin as much as possible.

Carmen Clark, LLLL, IBCLC

--
2/17/2007 5:06 PM