Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 11:32:34 +0100
I don't think there's anything wrong with bathing a baby every day if you
want to - I just hate prescriptive stuff! Seems to make practical sense
anyway with an older baby - we did it with our children, and it was a fun
time of day which also helped calm and soothe and encouraged conversation,
and lots of singing!

But after reading all the posts on this (very interesting - thanks!) it
seems there is no justification whatsoever for making it a hospital routine
post delivery - *especially* if it is done by hospital staff.

I do not buy the infection control thing at all.

If it's an issue without the bath, keep mothers with babies....all the time.

And does having a bath stop the risk of HIV, Hep C etc? If the baby is
liable to pass these on to staff handling him, then he's infectious after
the  bath as well, isn't he, via urine and  stools, blood?

If a hospital employee really needs to touch the baby's skin, and infection
control is an issue,  then gloves can be worn...of course normal hygiene
would also apply (hand washing before and after handling - at least that is
what happens here).

But it's been an education to read different practices and opinions.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK