From:
KM Zeretzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:45:00 PST
        I was also somewhat uncomfortable with the comments that were
made in the abm aisle and checkout  of the supermarket, although I agree
with them wholeheartedly.
        I enjoyed and agree with Melissa Vickers'  post.  If we are to
make convincing arguments, is it wise to antagonize those whose minds we
hope to change?  It seems to me that when folks feel alienated, they
cease to listen to what is being said.
        Mothers who choose not to initiate breastfeeding at all are most
likely either ignorant (this word means 'never having learned' and is
*not* a put-down) or misinformed.  I do a lot of  short talks about "Why
Should I BF my Baby"; sadly (for me) most are unpaid.  I just feel SO strongly that once the benefits of breast have been presented and the fact
that in bf, as in life, just about every problem has a solution that the
moms will at least make an informed choice--and give bf a try....
          Right now I have the opportunity to speak, one by one, to the
office staffs of obs and fps who deliver at a particular hospital.  I am
really pushing for a feeding options class, or video I could make, to be
shown to patients.  One family practice office staff was very receptive;
they asked if they scheduled their ob patients on a particular day each
month if I could come and do a class right there in the office!  (With
admirable restraint, I refrained from drooling on their lapels as I said
I certainly *would*.)  Their patients have transportation difficulties; I
was touched they were so concerned!
        IMHO, it's a matter of education.  Perhaps we could rework ILCA's
seemingly defunct slogan into "Each one teach one"--what a difference we
could make!
        BTW, one ob around here--and a bf father-- has a neat (IMO)
method of challenging mothers who check off bottle feeding on their
form.  He talks about benefits of breast and asks them to try it for
just three days!  I sure have a high proportion of his patients in my breastfeeding classes!
        Karen Zeretzke, MEd, IBCLC