From:
Deborah S-Q <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:09:55 -0400
I hope you don't take this as "heat" but as I have experienced nipple
confusion/preference in a big way, & I have referred to my experiences
before, I know that artificial nipples can interfere with
breastfeeding.Also,there have been studies that have shown that "pacifier
/dummy use shortens breastfeeding duration while contributing to dental
malocclusion....breastfeeding rate at 4 months was 91% in the nonpacifier
group and 44% in the pacifier group." [Facts about Breastfeeding, 1998, La
Leche League] I would think that this is relevant to the use of bottles
also. You do further qualify by referring to the availability of "high
quality support" - obviously, this would be a factor in the success of
breastfeeding should a nipple confusion problem arise - however, I don't
believe that high quality support is available everywhere (do any of us?)
and further, the mother may not choose to seek out such help. I am trying
hard to understand that nipple shields have their place with premature
babies and thorough support but I would like to see follow-up studies
regarding duration of breastfeeding.  I did meet a woman years ago who was
still breastfeeding a 10 month old with a shield, certainly not the ideal.
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
Canada