From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:43:48 -0800
It's good to see another state working on legisaltion to protect breastfeeding.  However, I will chime in on one of my sore points.  It is not the mother's right to feed her baby that is the point.  It is really the baby's right to eat whenever and wherever the need arises.  As long as we exphasize it as a mother's right to feed we leave ourselves open to being aqccused of being "pushy" or exhibitionist" etc.  We know that's not the case, but it could be argeds that the mom can wait or at least go to some secluded place to "relieve" her breasts.  It's the baby that has the right and expecially the need to be able to eat whenever and wherever the need arises.
Hopefully this approach can be considered when the wording of any legislation is being composed, but even it the wording already talks about the mother's right, anyone speaking or writing about the legislation should be sure they are emphasizing the baby/child's need.
In addition to being more accurate, let's face it, it's a lot harder for people to speak against babies than against women, especially if they perceive that the woman is asking for something "special".

Winnie Mading IBCLC