Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 07:22:33 -0500
No restrictions.  Nada.  Why?  I suppose they might sedate the baby,
but if the baby is awake enough to want to nurse, what, exactly, might
be the problem?  If there is a concern about nursing before the
procedure because of sedation, as long as the baby is not so deeply
sedated that he no longer has a cough reflex (usually not necessary),
there is no need to restrict breastfeeding beforehand.  I don't think
they would want an empty bladder, which they catheterize in any case,
so that wouldn't be a problem.

It is unlikely that the mother will be able to nurse during the
procedure because of the positioning of the child for the taking of
films, but if she could lean over and nurse him, this might obviate
the need for sedation.  It might be a little awkward.  But there is no
reason it could not be done.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC