From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:47:18 -0500
Many thanks to JoAnne for providing an excellent example of a SoP for a profession that is
autonomous and puts the client's rights first.  I'm thinking it would be a very constructive move to
search for similar examples of autonomous professions that work alongside MDs and RNs, but are
not necessarly "medical" per se.  These could be provided to the board as example of how we would
like to practice.  I had been thinking about it, but JoAnne gave me a push in the right direction.

On a more rebellious note, those of us who work outside an institution may be the only ones who will
not jeopardize our jobs in doing so, I'm thinking of documenting the number of incidents when I
must, for the sake of my client's health, provide evidence that might be counter to a health care
practitioners advice.  Then, turning myself into the board as a violator.  I definitely think this be
almost impossible for anyone within a hospital setting to contemplate, but those of us who are
private practitioners might be able to do so.  I actually credit this new idea to an unnamed person
who gave me the idea.

Best regards, Susan Burger