From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:13:00 -0500
Personally, I believe this new pyramid is even more confusing than the last.
It should just be scrapped, and someone should start over with an entirely
new concept. The Japanese "spinning top" is a similar idea, and even with
the language issues, I find it a lot easier to comprehend.

Regarding formula vs breastfeeding on the pyramid, any time we set the two
against each other, breastfeeding loses. People look at the "nutritional
demands" of breastfeeding, and feel that they cannot measure up. In a trio
of booklets I reviewed for the JHL, I found the nutrition information to be
ridiculous. The formula feeding mother could drink a cup of coffee, have a
bowl of cereal, and be done with her nutrition until lunch. The
breastfeeding mother had to have 1/2 cup of OJ, a cup of nutritious cereal,
1/2 cup of 2% milk, and avoid caffinated beverages (I'm paraphrasing, the
books are no longer in my house...). It took tremendous effort to feed a
breastfeeding mother, whereas a formula feeding mother could do whatever she
wanted, with no repercussions.

I don't believe there's that much difference. If you're losing too much
weight while eating a healthy diet, try to eat more. If you're keeping on,
or gaining weight, while eating a healthy diet, eat less. Change your
activity level. Placing one against the other causes barriers, barriers we
don't need.

In the words of Dr. Thomas Brewer, "Make every bite count, for you and your
baby."

Best wishes,
Sam Doak

<<

I saw on the local news that the US federal government now has a
personalized food pyramid available for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Nice, although I haven't looked at how accurate the information is.
However, it refuses to accept the date of your baby as more than a year ago.
I don't know if this is because they assume that no one breastfeeds beyond a
year, or if they believe that after a year the nutrition isn't affected by
nursing.  I would like to hear what others on this list think about this.

Christine Bussman>>