From:
Martha Hackney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:34:10 -0400
We are trying to update our recommendations to clients regarding the use and replacement of the tubing in supplemental nursing devices, used for lactation aids and/or finger feeding. Is anyone aware of any research or evidence to support recommendations regarding the care and replacement of the supplemental nursing device, including the tubing? I am coming up empty, particularly related to humans.

A quick environmental scan of practices indicates a range of practices, ranging from 24 hours, to 3-4 days, to 7 days, a few days, when it gets hard and replaced regularly. I also understand that some hospitals have moved to single use tubing.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or leads that you might have. I am ever hopeful because it has been my observation over the years that the brains of the many wise women on this listserv hold astonishing knowledge. Plus, "none of us is as smart as all of us" (Ken Blanchard 'High Five').

Many thanks,

Martha

Martha Hackney RN, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse
Toronto Public Health
Healthy Families, Maternal & Infant Health
850 Coxwell Ave.
phone: 416-397-4743
fax:     416-397-4779
email:[log in to unmask]