From:
Pam Easterday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:22:18 GMT
This week a determined teen mother and a more determined
grandmother taught me something new.
Mother had sore nipples and bouts of mastitis at three
weeks.  Phone instruction in deeper latch helped when baby
would co-operate.
In person, his suck felt fine on my finger.  He could cover
lower lip with his tongue.  We would fight to get him
latched well.  Every time he hurt mom by starting something
new with his tongue, possibly at let-down.  None of my
tricks worked.
They had been cup-feeding well.
Mom went home and cried.
That night, grandma decided she would teach him how.  She
would put him to her breast repeatedly until he was sucking
properly.  Then pop him onto mom.  He hasn't been cup fed
in two days.
I would have never thought of suggesting such a trick.
When you have an experienced, whatever-it-takes grandma on
the team, you now have another idea available!
Pam Easterday Ohio USA