From:
linda russell dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:08:05 -0600
1.  check for anklyglossia, you must see the tongue raising to the roof
of the mouth and also extending outward over the bottom gum and lip
before discounting.

2. Place Mom and baby in nice, deep, warm water bath together  to
simulate a rebirthing experience, may take several tries, and at least
30 min per time.(e-mail me if  you need more info -  I love this
technique I learned from Heather Harris - it CAN BE MAGICAL.

3.  do "around the clock" (aerola) massage and expression compression
(use proper technique) - ice and heat alternate before and after.

4.  mom needs rest and a good relaxing massage, lots of good food and
drink.

5.  BTW, feed this baby mom's columstrum and milk via cup, spoon or
syringe - do not use a firm rubber item in its mouth. Assess the suck
carefully to check for clamped roof of mouth tongue position, sution

6.  Us a dropper to stimulate and reward baby for latch attempts.

7.  Have ped check for hypotonia, not enough muscle coordination or
strength.

6.  Use "dancer's hand" hold to support breast and baby's chin.

8.  Maintain positive vibrations to mom as to her mothering ability..
encourage lots of "mushy" holding of baby.  Really stress her importance
to the baby with or without actually nursing.  Say things like "He
really loves his mom" "Oh, he just mushes right into your body, that's
exactly where he wants to be." or things like that.

9.  My personal experience with supplimenters(?) has shown me that the
one with the soft plastic bag is often thought to be more
mother-friendly" by the mom.
 However, supplimenters are not to be offered openhandely -- Believe me,
if you have not personally used a supplementer, you simply DO NOT KNOW
just how frustrating, tedious, time consuming, and difficult it can be.
Any LC that gives a mom one without planning to spend many hours with
her obviously does not know firsthand about these devices.  They can be
an incredible, wonderful tool but not without complete instruction and
support.

Well, I've certainly enjoyed pontificating.  Love and hugs to you and
your mom, and remember, time itself can be a great healer.  Linda
Russell Dunn, LLLL, IBCLC