From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:56:44 -0400

Dear LACTNETTERS,

A few years ago, whenever I heard about "breastfeeding medicine," it struck
me the wrong way and I wrote a post to LACTNET.  What is breastfeeding
medicine?  Breastfeeding is not a medical condition, although it could have
an association with medical situations.  It seemed to me that it would be
more accurate to view it as breastfeeding SCIENCE.  During the next few
years there were others who also made the distinction that breastfeeding
medicine was an inappropriate term because it was truly science that we were
referring to.

Well, lo and behold, the first-place winner in the ILCA Essay Contest this
year had a paragraph describing breastfeeding science and said it so much
better than I ever could.  I have copied that paragraph into this post and
recommend going to that eGlobe issue and reading the entire essay - it is
quite good.

From the most recent issue of the ILCA eGlobe (August 2010, p.7):

Essay Contest

The winning essay for our 25th Anniversary Essay Contest was submitted by
Kelly Brooks, RN, BSN, IBCLC for ¯The Road We've Taken.

Excerpt:  "Some of us have chosen to make a difference in the field of
research, to the science of breastfeeding and human lactation, spending
countless hours studying and documenting lactation research. We spend our
time and energy providing the science that supports the art of
breastfeeding."

Warm regards,

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC

Westchester County in NYS, USA

"Children Are Born with the Need to Breastfeed"