Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:51:38 EST
I saw an infant today with a large growth on upper gum line, just right of
center. It is approximately 4-5 cm in diameter and appears to be gum tissue.
The palate is intact. We were able to get infant to latch on a couple of
times, but she was unable to stay latched. She continually licks at growth
when alert. Infant has good, well organized suck per digital exam. Has anyone
else seen anything like this and what was the outcome? Mother of infant has
nursed 2 other children without difficulties and is determined to breastfeed.
I also reassured her and told her since the nipple is much more pliable than
an artificial nipple, infant will be able to compensate.

Barb Barrow RN, IBCLC