From:
Ibolya Eva Rozsa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:30:05 +0100
Dear Vicky and All,

Our practice is supposed to be evidence based. That means we need to
keep up with research AND use our or others' experience.  Cabbage
leaves, cold compresses and raw potatoes do reduce swelling not only in
the breast but in other body parts as well. Mastitis usually comes
together with swelling. Mastitis would not resolve without proper
treatment that involves emptying the breast effectively and frequently,
proper positioning of the baby, treating infection if bacteria is
present, etc., but helping to reduce edema and pain with the above
mentioned things can help the mother to feel more comfortable and keep
up with breastfeeding. I would call this evidence, too. :)

Warmly,

Ibolya Eva Rozsa, LLLL, IBCLC
Hungary