From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:37:43 -0400
<<I usually recommend the Lact-Aid, especially for situations where it
appears
> that supplementation will be needed for a significant period of time.
> If
> the baby's suck is really weak, the medium or large tubing of the SNS
> might
> help (the smallest tubing is closest to the Lact-Aid's rate of flow).>>

for a baby who can't maintain any suction or action at the breast, ime
the largest is needed and sometimes the bottle needs to be hung high
enough so that food can flow, or another person needs to hold it....

<<However, I would use the slowest flow that he can (or will) feed
> sufficiently with.  Also, you can get a tube like Dr. Newman recommends
> but
> I suggest threading the tube through a large needle and pulling it
> through
> the existing hole in a bottle nipple, rather than enlarging the hole.
> That
> way, the tube will stay secure.  Mom can then stick the bottle down
> into the
> middle of the bra, to hold it, or sew a cloth pouch onto her bra, or
> onto a
> neck cord, to hold it, so that she doesn't need to worry about the tube
> getting pulled out, the bottle spilling, etc..>>

yup.  but if baby can't suckle at the breast, then food doesn't move....

  btdoingthat wtih a client who's 6 wk old is still not nursing.....also
b/c of a tongue tie (and other issues).

it's so hard.

katherine in atl