From:
Jeanette McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:30:30 -0400
Hello all! I'm an IBCLC in private practice and I don't have hands-on NICU
experience, though I try to keep up with the research.  A dear friend has a
29 wk gestation preterm infant in the NICU and would like her baby to
receive exclusive breastmilk.  Weight gain has been an issue, but the baby
hasn't tolerated fortifiers well.  I saw a talk a few years ago about the
Rush Milk Club in Chicago and recall how they would test the creamatocrit
of the milk.  That's the point where my memory gets hazy, and I can't seem
to find more information (I found their site, but most of the research
seems to be around their amazing work - which is great! - but I haven't
found the piece that would help this mom). Are there ABM-esque protocols
for exclusive EBM for preemies? What would be the best research to arm mama
with so that she can appropriately and effectively advocate for exclusive
breastmilk feedings?

Thanks in advance for your wise words!

Warmly,
Jeanette