From:
Paula Ray Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:13:11 -0500
I have searched the archives, and other sources, but would welcome opinions
on the following:
We have a level 2+ NICU that opened in Jan 04, so we are still working on
nailing down policy/procedure. We have a NNP who is new to our staff, but
has many years experience. She has voiced alot of concern regarding feeding
fresh EBM ( she is pro-breastfeeding, that is not the problem). She has
handed me a letter for the parents that includes this statement:
"Because breast milk is so rich in nutrients the milk can grow bacteria
very rapidly...All breast milk must be brought into the NICU frozen and on
ice...."  She is specifically worried about CMV, Staph, and E-coli. Does
anyone have at hand some reference regarding this issue that I can provide
to the NP? ( She is willing to review professional literature)
Thanks,
Paula Ray Hiett RNC, IBCLC
Longview, Texas