From:
Yasmeen Effath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:09:43 -0800
Hi

A code is always more than just guidance and therefore represents an 'ideal condition' and rightly so. To achieve the ideal means adhering to the code. In the less conducive environment; which is most often the case, even striving to achieve will not amount to non adherence or violation of code. We are just dealing with exceptions and alloing a bottle to be used in order to protect the nutritional aspect of breastfeeding. But to alter the code to include parameters which are many a times practical (like you have mentioned working with many mother who either did not want to breastfeed or could not breastfeed managing to feed their babies breast milk using bottles/teats) and more contemporary prevalence will run the risk of making is more lenient or less ideal in my perspective. Although, it may be true that using of bottles and teats may not be the actual deterrent and what goes into the bottle should be more important, aren’t we missing a BIG
 point here breastfeeding as a process can never be the same as breast milk feeding.

While the nutritional aspect of breast milk does get satisfied to large extend to mothers who plan to work and managing to a breast milk feed a baby I fear and wont be surprised when a time might come when breast milk might also be available off the shelf and being the BEST food for baby many might even become the ‘second’ formula in the world. The attitudinal change can be phenomenal. We will be comprising what BEST food means here - bonding, closeness, love, warmth and so many aspects of human relations which is what makes Breastfeeding much much more than just a means and mode of delivery of breast milk to a baby.

Besides, in a country like India, you may not be surprised to see a unsterilized, unclean bottle being filled with plain tap water mixed with some left over formula from garbage and stirred with unclean finger and this being fed to babies so therefore the risks of use of bottles/teats cannot be undermined especially when the control of use of such practices is a difficult undertaking.

All this with the present code, imagine the situation if the code has to include bottles and teats!!

Take Care

Effath Yasmin, LLLL
Mumbai, India