From:
"Pat Gorman, CLE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:02:00 PST
     It has been a long week and I cannot believe all the different bf
issues that have come across my desk.
     A quick reminder, I am a CLE who works at a WIC clinic in Salem ,Or. as
a bf educator  and a hard fact
of life has become apparent , for many of my  clients I am the only source
beside LLL  available for bf help and counseling.  In my area another
insurance carrier dropped lactation services and the bad news is that this
is becoming  the rule not the exception.
This week beside my routine calls, I have seen a 15 yr old mom who has bf
her baby for the last 2 months on only one breast and is tired of being
loopsided . She requested help getting the baby to take the other side or
she wanted to wean.   We will meet in my office in the morning, I hope I can
help.
     This morning I meet an 18 yr old pregnant woman who came in with her
mother to be certified for the program. When I asked her if she was
interested in bf her baby she told me it was not possible because she had
breast reduction surgery at 15 at the advice of her  ped.  The surgery was
suggested because she was a  size 38DD and he said that breast that large
can cause serious health problems.  The plastic surgeon  told her that she
would not have any trouble during a pregnancy  and not to worry because they
could give her a shot to dry up the milk after the baby was born. Well, she
is in her 12 week and the breast have returned to 38DD.   It has been 3
years since the surgery and the medication to dry up the milk has been found
unsafe.  Now she wants to know what to expect after the baby is born.  I
told her I would do some research and get back to her.   I need some help.
Does anyone know something they could share?  My knowledge is limited in
this area.   Help!
Well, it has been one of those weeks and Monday was a holiday and Friday is
tomorrow.
Pat Gorman CLE     [log in to unmask]